Monday 26 February 2007

In the black!

This evening I sat down with my spreadsheet to work out our new finances, given the updated 2007 charges and the fact that I am no longer bringing in a salary. I do this every year and it always makes me nervous. I could not predict how our utility bills were going to increase with the arrival of Michael so was mildly concerned that we would have enough money coming in. I was very relieved to discover that we are going to be fine and won't have to rob any banks this year (I'd have to do the actual robbing because I can't drive so Phil would have to be the getaway driver).

Given this news, I think it is time to contemplate buying a tumble dryer. For the past 7 years we have hung out our clothes to dry on a clothes horse in the guest bedroom. This isn't practical any more for a couple reasons. Firstly, the guest room is now a nursery (Michael sleeps in our room for the moment but will eventually call this room his own) and the box room is for the cats. Secondly, there is just so much washing to hang out. I can't believe how much clothing one small(ish) baby has, and we go through oodles of muslin cloths a week. It is like painting the Forth Bridge - no sooner have we emptied the linen basket then it is full again.

I also fancy engaging the services of a cleaner. Yes, I know I am home all day but I signed on as a Mummy and not a cleaner. I hate cleaning with an absolute passion. That is odd, really, since my sister enjoys it and considers it therapeutic. She sent me Kim and Aggie's "How Clean is Your House?" and I read with dismay exactly what chores the ladies consider necessary every single week. Call me lazy if you will, but I would much rather spend the time doing something with Michael than cleaning the oven (although I suppose the fumes might be rather pleasant if I didn't ventilate the room properly). I'm trying to coax the lady who cleans for my next-door neighbour into cleaning for us. Fingers crossed!

No comments: