Monday 18 August 2008

41 weeks and 3 days...

...and yes, I'm still pregnant. I thought I'd make this information as public as possible in the faint hope of avoiding answering the question multiple times a day. Family members are even starting to sound exasperated, making me feel like a naughty school girl who has missed a homework deadline. I think I'll stop answering the phone...

To update properly, the baby is absolutely fine. I had to go for a series of tests on Wednesday to check his condition. I was on a fetal monitor for half an hour, which Baby O did his best to kick off every 10 seconds. Michael endeavoured to help him by tripping over the monitor cable and pulling the thing off my belly altogether. Baby O is what is called a 'jogging baby'. Happy as a clam, and very active. I then had an ultrasound which revealed that he has a lot of amniotic fluid so still has a lot of space to luxuriate. It is possible that the amniotic fluid is the reason why I haven't gone into labour - the baby is so buoyant that the uterus just isn't recognising that he is full term and it is time to kick him out.

The tests will be repeated at the hospital on Wednesday 20th and then I will be induced later in the week if he hasn't made an appearance. I'm happy with that, as the risk of the placenta starting to degrade increases when a pregnancy goes over 42 weeks. I'm also concerned with the potential for him to be over 10lbs. I'm going to request a scan to measure his shoulders - I don't want to discover midway through an induction that there was never a chance of him being born naturally.

There are no signs whatsoever that labour is imminent, and that is another question I am sick of answering.

Here is a letter I put together earlier for Baby O:

Dear Baby,

OK... you've been in there for 41 weeks and 3 days. Don't you think it is time you parked your bum somewhere else? It may well be like The Ritz in there - all marble staircases and plush furniture - but the exterior is rather more like a tumbledown shack... falling to pieces a little more with every day that goes by...

Do be a dear and consider it, won't you?

With love,
Mummy x

No comments: